Double oven kitchen wiring - check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I am about to change my single electric oven for a double one and want to check that everything is ok.

In the terminal box, I have a cooker breaker (50Amp), from there, a 6mm armoured cable (10 meter along the outside wall to the kitchen) going to the control unit in the kitchen – this is 45Amp rated.
From there, it goes behind the oven to a split box where it feeds the electric hob and the oven.
Electric hob is around 7.2 Kw.
Double oven will be around 5 Kw (the current single oven is less).

Total: 12.2 Kw, which ask for 50.8 amp in full load.

Is it ok to connect as it is or do I need to upgrade the consumer unit in the kitchen?

Thanks
Seb

Sponsored Links
Have your electrician change the MCB (breaker) for a 40 amp one. 6mm SWA can rarely (if ever) carry 50 amps, and the CCU (cooker switch) is only rated to 45 amps, as you say.

And your cooker will rarely need 40 amps anyway, never mind 50 (all its elements cycle on and off on thermostats!)

By the way, normally a single oven will plug into a standard socket like a kettle does.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back