New Oven and hob???

23 May 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Im putitng in a new kitchen as i have just bought a house. The old kitch had standalone oven and hob.

45A fuse, 6mm cable to cooker switch, 6mm cable to cooker.

Our news kitchen has a built in eye level double oven and built in hob.

Grill = 2.1kW
Oven = 1.8 kW
Hob = 7.2 kW

Will the old supply be sufficient for this or will i need one for hob and one for oven/grill. Thanks

And if so what size of fuse etc?

Sponsored Links
What kind of fuse is it? 45amps is near the limit for 6mm cable clipped direct, it's too much if the cable is in conduit, bunched with other cables, touching thermal insulation etc.

30/32a would be a much better choice of OPD for the circuit, and will be sufficient for your appliances.

HOWEVER, you must check the manufacturer's instructions to see what fusing they require for the oven and grill - they might specify that they are fused at 13a - in which case you'll need an FCU (or two!)
the manual says fuse protection minimum 25A fuse for the oven and grill. would the cable go

CU---> cooker switch----> hob ---->Oven

Is the oven and grill a combined unit?

Are you sure that it says MINIMUM fuse rating 25amps (not maximum!)?

If it's OK on a 30 or 32amp OPD, then you'd go:
CU-->Cooker switch-->DOUBLE cooker outlet plate
Then a flex to the oven/grill
A flex to the hob
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local