new oven and hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just refitting my kitchen and am installing a 7.2kW inductiuon hob and 3kW single fan oven.

At the moment there is a 6mm cable from a 45A breaker in the CU to 45A cooker controller to the hob.

The oven is fed from the kitchen ring main via a 20A double pole switch. Does all this sound OK or should I put the oven on the cooker circuit?

Sponsored Links
The cable (twin and earth) needs to be 10mm2, above all else i think thats fine,and as long as you can get to the cooker switch fairly easy i thinks its okay,

anyone else wanna confirm fire away :D

Marcam, I disagree. The existing 6mm cable will be fine for the 7.2KW hob. 7200/230 = 31amps but you use diversity so actual demand will be way below this figure.

The 45A breaker is TOO BIG for 6mm cable and MUST be reduced to 32A.

The oven can go on the spur to the ring thru the 20A switch but it MUST connect via a fused 13A plug.

Do not forget this is notifiable work under Part P.

"The 45A breaker is TOO BIG for 6mm cable and MUST be reduced to 32A."

6mm Method 1 is rated 46A - how is the cable installed?

Sponsored Links
Hi davelx

In answer to your question, the 6mm cable is clipped along the garage wall from the CU and back entry through the wall to the cooker control in the kitchen, then back out again into the garage, clipped along 1m and through the wall again to the cooker connection.

One more question, what type of cable between cooker connection plate to the hob, 6mm heat resistant flex?

cheers.

sounds like that ought to keep it cool enough :D

you can use flex if you want... most people use T+E as it's a fixed item of equipment.. ( it IS a seperate hob and oven I assume from your description..? )

You dont mention fusing for the oven. You cannot run it straight off a 20 amp switch on a 32 amp ring main. It must have fusing to 13 amps somewhere.

Thanks,

So do I need to replace the 20A switch with a 13A fused spur, or is the 13A fuse in the plug ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back