Double socket - FCU - Fire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an electric fire which has a plug on it, however I would like to be able to have it plugged into one of those switch type FCU's.

What I'm wondering is this.......

I have a double plug socket close to where the fire is going (I don't want to use this socket for the fire as it means the lead would have to trail over the wall). Can I simply run a FCU socket from the double socket?

Then is it just a matter of wiring the fire up to the FCU?

Is there different fused sockets for different appliances?

I have read the other topics on this but I really do need it explained in Laymans terms :(

Thanks in advance for any help/advice given.

Sponsored Links
I have an electric fire which has a plug on it, however I would like to be able to have it plugged into one of those switch type FCU's.

I have a double plug socket close to where the fire is going (I don't want to use this socket for the fire as it means the lead would have to trail over the wall). Can I simply run a FCU socket from the double socket?

Yes you can, as long as that socket isn't already a spur itself

Then is it just a matter of wiring the fire up to the FCU? <font=red> Yes it is, but make sure that the fuse is the switched fuse spur is the correct rating</font>

Is there different fused sockets for different appliances? <font=red> No. Standard 13 Amp ones such as the one you're considering are suitable for what you want to do</font>

I have read the other topics on this but I really do need it explained in Laymans terms :(

Thanks in advance for any help/advice given.

Answers to your Q.s in body above.

Instead of doing what you are proposing, why don't you spur off with another double socket outlet (DSO) and keep the fire on the plug? It'd be easier to disconnect in the future (when summer comes or young kids are around etc)?

I have a double plug socket close to where the fire is going (I don't want to use this socket for the fire as it means the lead would have to trail over the wall). Can I simply run a FCU socket from the double socket? .
Yes you can

Then is it just a matter of wiring the fire up to the FCU?
Yes it is

Is there different fused sockets for different appliances?
I assume you mean FCU's? If you do mean FCU's they all come with a 13amp fuse which can be changed for a smaller one only. What is the rating of the fire?[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back