Double Story Extension PD - refused

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 1930s semi which already has a 3m rear single storey extension. I plan to add a 2m rear extension on the 1st floor on my extended flat roof, but it's been rejected as PD. Reasons out below

I'm confused about (i) and (j) since my eves height on the 2nd floor is well below 3m and I'm building a single story on the 1st floor.
So does J refer to the original dwelling and Hense I need to incorporate my extension as 'enlarged'. Then it makes sense but then it also means double store is not allowed in any circumstances unless it's less then 4m from the ground floor and very small width ?
which is sort of pointless for most standard semi's

A.1 I) Would the enlarged part of the house be within 2 metres of the boundary of the curtilage of the dwelling with an eaves height of more than 3 metres?

A.1 J) Would the enlarged part of the house extend beyond a side elevation of the house, and would (i) exceed 4 metres in height, (ii) have more than a single storey, or (iii) have a width greater than half the width of the original house?

A.1 JA) Would the total enlargement (including any existing enlargement of the house to which the proposal would be attached) exceed the limits set out in (E) to (J)?

B.1 D) Would the resulting roofspace exceed the cubic content of the original roof by (i) more than 40m3 in the case of a terrace house, or (ii) 50m3 in any
other case?

Sponsored Links
I dont think you can realistically expect to be able to build an extension on top of another one and have it treated as another PD single-storey one.

yeah though as much ,
just my architect advised we put as PD , he even done original plans as well.

So I would only be allowed an extension on the 1st floor if it was on original dwelling then ?

The eaves height is from ground level, not existing extension level. As your propose extension is within 2m of the boundary, the (new) eaves height cannot exceed 3m.

The only time people can really add a first floor rear or two storey rear extension to a property is if it’s not within 2m of the boundary. You’ll also need 7m to the rear boundary. There are additional caveats/conditions relating to this.

I assume you didn’t have an architect/designer prepare and and submit the LDC application for you?

Edit: Just read your last post. Your architect is a bit of a fool for not knowing the PD rules.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The only "covid relaxation" Ive heard of is extending the validity of existing permissions.

Theres a guide on the Planning Portal to 2-storey PD extensions.

Omg that website. The information they provide is either misleading or incorrect, e.g.

“as long as the add-on is single-story and extends less than eight meters from the rear wall of your detached house; there is no need to contact the council.”

Incorrect. Any single storey rear extension that extends by more than 3m/4m respectively requires Prior Approval of which you “need” to contact the Council.

“you are allowed to build a two-story rear extension that should not exceed 3 meters in depth or be within 7 cm of the back boundary.”

7cm!?! Hmmm. Although a typo, there are other rules that relate to two storey rear extensions, i.e. minimum 2m to the side boundary.

Never trust those kind of unofficial websites. Refer to the Planning Portal and other Government related websites.

Omg that website. The information they provide is either misleading or incorrect, e.g.

“as long as the add-on is single-story and extends less than eight meters from the rear wall of your detached house; there is no need to contact the council.”

Incorrect. Any single storey rear extension that extends by more than 3m/4m respectively requires Prior Approval of which you “need” to contact the Council.

“you are allowed to build a two-story rear extension that should not exceed 3 meters in depth or be within 7 cm of the back boundary.”

7cm!?! Hmmm. Although a typo, there are other rules that relate to two storey rear extensions, i.e. minimum 2m to the side boundary.

Never trust those kind of unofficial websites. Refer to the Planning Portal and other Government related websites.
Youve reminded me of a reply Iwas going to make and then didnt.

Better late than never..

You ***********************!

I read that and now Ive run out of pinches of salt!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back