Double-up celotex boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if there are any reasons why you can't double-up celotex boards as a means to getting to the regulatory U-value?

(or anthing that has less thermal conductivity for the same or less thickness?)

Thanks

lightboy

Sponsored Links
If you mean e.g if you need 100mm celotex floor insulation you could use 2 x 50mm celotex boards to = 100mm

ive never encountered a reason why not - has someon said something?? :eek:

No, no-one has said anything... It just seemed like an obvious opportunity to do what I need to do and then I thought.... is it too obvious???!

Based on my calculation I need 140mm celotex board to get to achieve the required U-value of 0.25 W/m²K, but they don't do them so could I use 2x70mm's or 1x100 and 1x40 to achieve the same value?

sounds like you have a new flat roof to insulate, am i right? - i think either of those options would do the trick - you must also allow another 50mm over the insulation for ventilation to flow through your soffit vents so your joists should be 190mm deep minimum.
a better detail would be to underdraw 25mm of celotex below the joists and have 90mm between the joists = less insulation for better performance (i.e no cold bridges)

Sponsored Links
in fact 70 between and 25 under should be sufficient, just check with BC first though.

celotex produce a 'handy guide' a5 booklet and ive quoted 90+25 out of therem - if you call them they will send you one

For some reason their website only quotes for warm deck roof. A warm deckroof is good if you have difficulty getting cross ventilation - its a special TD3080Z celotex board with ply backing 80mm thick and goes entirely over the top of the joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back