down pipe onto neighbouring land

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hopefully someone will have some experience with this-

my 200 year old end of terrace cottage has its downpipes draining onto the neighbouring village hall car park and runs away into their storm drains, its always been like this and there is no soak away in my property.

The village hall committee have suggested i should change this, it would mean digging up both the front and back garden and patio area- i dont really want to do this obviously.
as its been like it since the cottages were built, do i have to/ can they legally force me to change it if i refuse?

any suggestions appreciated.

cheers

Sponsored Links
No.
You most likely have a prescriptive right/easement to use the drain now.

Because you have been using this right for so long you will, as mattylad says, most likely have prescriptive rights. This means you have a legal right to drain onto their land. You could politely tell them this and ask if they are willing to pay for the works? I suspect they may decide it’s not so important after all!!

This explains it, albeit in “legal” terms. A right to do something over/under someone else's land is called an easement.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ce-guide-52-easements-claimed-by-prescription

Dan

Sponsored Links
FWIW my house was built in 1855, whilst it does not say it in my deeds I have a right to send my rainwater down the sloped pathway through the neighbours land at the back of the house because it's been doing it for over 100 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back