drafty loft hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
My problem is that my loft hatch is very drafty. The hatch door does not fit snugly in the frame - there are huge gaps around 2 sides of the door. Hence the upstairs landing gets very cold.

Details of loft hatch:
Door opens swinging downwards.
Pull-down ladder comes down from the loft.

Does anyone have any ideas for insulating the hatch or should I simply buy a new frame and door set?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Could try fixing a board (hard board, MDF, thin ply, T&G planking), cut to fit the frame, over the existing door so that the gaps are covered?

Stick self adhesive draught strips around the frame above where the door sits in its up-an-closed position to get a snug seal?

Thanks for the reply. Good idea in principle. It may end up being a bodge job as the frame/opening isn't a regular rectangle, it's very wonky. Measures approx 800mm x 600mm. Would it be better to replace the entire frame and door? I looked on screwfix but the dimensions are too small. Any ideas?

I put a frame round my trap door. I bought a soft wood moulding that was about 2" wide with a half round on one edge.
I cut & mitred it, fitted it to overlap the gap. Then put foam draft excluder on it.
It was still possible to push the trap door up, to release the catch..

Sponsored Links
I think you need a new "stop" for the hatch to close up against.

If you tack a batten around the inside of the frame, to touch the surface of the hatch when it is closed (you will have to do this from the loft with the hatch shut) it will reduce the draft a lot.

If you want to put a compressible draft seal on the batten it will work even better.

look at the way an interior door closes and you will see what i mean.

bah, too slow :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back