Drain Blaster/Suction Guns - are they worth it or are they risky?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My kitchen sink has started to drain slower than usual and often gives a good loud gurgle when emptying. So I've given it the bicarb + vinegar + boiling water treatment today (I prefer not to use chemicals, partly because I'm on a septic tank). But I was also thinking of getting a new plunger as a follow up treatment and for future use.

Are these sorts of suction type plungers any good:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DRAIN-BLAS...00AA43L48/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

And is there a chance that it could cause damage and/or leaks?

Any thoughts and experiences would be most helpful. Cheers,

Max

Sponsored Links
If your pipework is compression anywhere, or even worse: pushfit, you could end up in a right mess!

Hmmm... and that I wouldn't want!!!

If I took a pic of the pipes under my kitchen sink, would you (or anyone) be able to tell if they are compression/push fit just by looking?

Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm... and that I wouldn't want!!!

If I took a pic of the pipes under my kitchen sink, would you (or anyone) be able to tell if they are compression/push fit just by looking?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, but it's the ones you can't see that matter. Send up some photos anyway and we can get a good idea of the install!

Sponsored Links
I'd take your sink trap out and give it a good clean with fingers/old toothbrush and dishcloth pulled through a few times. If it's all scaled up and rough surfaces inside, then put a new one in!

OK, here's some pics....

IMG_1220.JPG

IMG_1222.JPG

IMG_1223.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG

I would be happy to remove the trap and clean it, but I always worry about stuff like that in case when I put it back I don't do it properly and cause a leak. Perhaps once the photos have been looked at someone can tell me whether removing and re-installing the trap is easy in my set up.

Thanks again

Max

I tend to tackle blockages like yours with a wet vac. Remove and clean the trap. Use the wet vac on the pipe where the trap connects. Try and get a good seal either with your hands or by using something like blu-tac. A good suck should clear most food/fat related blockages. You can get a decent wet vac from Wickes or Screwfix for around £50, which is less than I'd charge to do the job. Make sure first that the slow running sink is not due to the blockage of a gulley or sewer further downstream. That would need tackling first.

As for removing the trap, put a bowl underneath, undo the compression nuts and pull apart. Leave the nuts and washers on the pipe. When reassembling, be careful not to cross threads and do the compression nuts up firmly hand tight. Run water slowly and check for leaks. If ok, put the plug in, fill the bowl and then empty sink again checking for leaks.

Another tip... when reassembling compression waste fittings... do them hand tight, run hot water down the plug hole and then give all the joints another turn by hand and you'll likely find that expansion from the hot water passing through them will allow another 1/4- 1/2 turn on each nut.

Many thanks for the replies and help.

Money is too tight for a wet vac I'm afraid, especially as it would only see very occasional use. But I'll definitely give the trap a clean and appreciate the tips on how to do it. No one has mentioned using any kind of tape when doing it back up, so I'm presuming that's not needed?

As for the pressure blaster, based on what you've seen pipewise under my sink, would you give it a miss?

One other thing, I was thinking of getting some of this stuff too (it's safe for septic tanks):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HG-4811001...00HLXTFXC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Anyone used it or have other recommendations?

Thanks again

But with the money you're considering spending on the products you've linked to, and judging by what you've spent on the products on view in your photos; £40 on an aquavac from Wickes is only a few quid more and you will be surprised how useful it will be to you... remember, it's also a dry vacuum cleaner too! I'd say it's worth the £'s!

Hi all

Thought I'd write back to update. I took the U bend off and cleaned it up. But then I couldn't help myself and started to take off other sections bit by bit and gave them all a clean up. Everything went back together, I've been keeping an eye out for leaks, and so far everything is fine and dandy :)

The one part I couldn't get to properly was this:

Pipes Under Sink 01 Small with arrows.JPG

Sorry to be so novice-like, but what are those kinds of fittings called? And how do you get them undone (and done back up again, water tight)? Would be nice to be able to clean that section manually, and also, the pipe outside has the same fittings and I'm quite keen now to get that apart for a good clean:

IMG_0037.JPG

In terms of the aquavac, I might consider getting one, but aside from the money there's also always a question of storage in this house! In fact, we've just had a major house and shed sort out to make room for all the crap we've already got. And as things stand, I've managed to sort the issue without spending a penny (as in I haven't put my hand in my wallet; the toilet I did need). But we'll see.

I might however get one of those gizmos Madrab linked to (thanks for that). I'm thinking as a maintenance program to give the plug holes the vinegar and bicarb treatment once every 2-3 months, perhaps followed with a blast or two from Madrab's suggestion. Does that sound like a good plan

Thanks so much for all the help.

Max

PS:

judging by what you've spent on the products on view in your photos;

Which products are those?

Those fittings are solvent weld and are glued together therefore it isn't coming apart, it would need to be cut out.

Aquavac's are great, and if you can justify the costs then they can come in very handy for more stubborn restrictions and as they are dual purpose, as the guys have mentioned. I have one too, no plumber would be without one.
For the occasional use though, you can't beat the hand pump for cost and usability against results, for blocked pipework, and it's hardly breaking the bank if it doesn't clear things. The best process is preventative though and you seem to have that in mind.

I presume the products that @dilalio is taking about are all those cleaning chemicals under the sink ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back