Drain off tails & telecscopic tails?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to fit a new radiator where an old leaking one was.

The (physical) size will be dictated by where the pipes are. I was going to put a drain off tail, which I see at least Myson do, in between the lockshield and the rad. Is that the right end to do it?

There will be space, infact I was/am probably going to have to use some of those long/telescopic tails anyway.

I've got at least one other radiator (towel rail in fact) to fit. Do people think it's a good idea to fid drain off valves as a matter of course. Presumably it saves all that pratting about with bowls/old towels and so on whenever you need to change the radiator/decorate/whatever.

I see that screwfix to 'telescopic' radiator tails. Do these work, or do I just get long ones and cut them down to the size I need.

Many thanks, Mikeymo

Sponsored Links
Buy yourself a cheap wet-vac £30, drains & captures the water with no mess.

Telescopic tales complete waste of money any strain on them at all and it will leak,

Sponsored Links
You should always fit drain off valves on any rad that is part of a 'drop' ie pipework flow and returns come from above....otherwise you end up with dead legs that are full of water and you have to crack a valve to drain them....also should be fitted on lowest point of system as well.

Some come in a fixed length with male and female ends 10mm 20/30 an 40mm these cannont be cut
Others that are basicly a half inch thread with a fixed length of brass that nut and olive go on can be cut to length with junior hacksaw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back