Drain Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a blockage on my soil pipe junction i think. The drain prior to this jucction (where the kitchen sink drains into) backs up. I need to dig down and see what the problem is. I have been told it will be £1k to line this run of pipe, so digging it up is much easier for me and cheaper (whole of front garden is to be landscaped anyway).

So my question is, should i install a manhole chamber when i dig down and do my repairs ? I have a load of bricks to built one so it is just labour cost.

Sponsored Links
It will be lot easier to just buy a mini chamber an install that rather then try to build a brick man hole as your not a growndworker /bricklayer.

can you not get the drains checked camera or jetted? first to see it that works I take it its a old clay pipe line?

Any new manhole will need to be built from engineering bricks, as any other type of brick is not suitable for use in a drainage system. Use a preformed plastic chamber, or if levels don't suit, then the concrete sections. Either method is quicker and easier.

you can buy mini cambers that a base riser an frame/lid you can cut down a iser if too high or add more if needed But if its deep then just put in a normal plastic chamber same as mini just wider ring

Sponsored Links
I'll second Andy on that, it may be one joint has dropped, or a short section is damaged. Could be an easy repair, and certainly wouldn't need the entire run lining at £loads..... Either way, if you dig it up it is still wise to fit a chamber for easier access in future should it be needed.

I think i will dig myself. Any repair id straight forward and i plan on changing the soil stack into plastic as the current stack is 90 yr/old.

Prob will put in a chamber. I have a brick wall at the front of the garden which i plan on knocking down. It is hard red brick and is again 90 y/o. Could i use these bricks to build the chamber ?

NOOO! that chances of cleaning each an every brick an them being class b bricks? have you ever built a manhole ut of bricks before?

your need building control out probs to inspect it if its not done 110% right your snookered.

doo you know how to run the half pipes hornching form an lay the base/footings what bond of brickwork to use size of chamber size of lid/opening backing/infill?

if you know all this then crack on if not then just pop into jewsons an ask for a mini chamber pipe connectors ballest cement for setting the chamber then pea single for lining the pipes. JOB DONE
there far more easy quicker to install an cheaper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back