Drain survey results query - money grab?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a drain survey done as a soak away pipe at the front of the house is visibly broken and requires repair. As the house was built in the 60s I thought it may be beneficial to check out the whole system. There are no other obvious problems.

The men who came to do the drain survey were fine and told me it would be around £500 to replace the soak away & to lower it so that it doesn’t get broken again etc. and that everything else seemed fine. There was one other issue they highlighted which was a partially blocked drain. This was outside of my boundary so the water company came & fixed.

Fast forward to the actual drain survey report & there is umpteen issues listed and a price tag of £3000. Is this normal? Are they just drumming up business? How am I supposed to know which things to take seriously & prioritise and others that can be taken with a pinch of salt.

It’s mostly all disjointed pipes that is mentioned.

Sponsored Links
Get a second opinion, so another survey and quote.

They were wrong to comment on work required and cost.

Sadly, its a common trick of drainage companies to upsell. I went for a job once and basically got told I wasn't suitable as he didn't think I had the confidence to upsell enough!

If (and when) the drains keep repeatedly blocking, then that is the time to worry.

Sponsored Links
Fast forward to the actual drain survey report & there is umpteen issues listed and a price tag of £3000. Is this normal? Are they just drumming up business? How am I supposed to know which things to take seriously & prioritise and others that can be taken with a pinch of salt.

It’s mostly all disjointed pipes that is mentioned.
can you post it here -without company details - so we can have a :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back