Drainage for whole garden patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are thinking of patio'ing our entire garden because we use it a lot and the grass wears out, gets muddy, is wet all winter and no one wants to cut it.

We're also putting up a garage at the rear.

We'll probably get a contractor in but I wanted to double check drainage solutions. The issue we have is that the garden slopes sideays towards the neighbours garden and also towards the garage at the rear. We will level the garden somewhat, but with a 35cm drop across the garden we can't afford to fully level it.

What are the options for drainage?

I'm open to some permeable surface instead of patio, but how much would the price increase. We can just afford to have it patio'ed without some fancy solution.

What about leaving large gaps between the slabs filled with sand rather than render?

I've looked at compacted MOT1 but it's not pretty.

The garage is not built yet so we could put a pipe under it to take the water away to a soak away behind the house (we have some land behind the house).

Capture.jpg

Sponsored Links
It depends on the size of the paved area? How do you propose dealing with water from the garage roof?

The paved area is 25 x 5.65 m, so 141 sq.m.

The garage will take the water to a soakaway on the land behind the alleyway. No problem there as it's downhill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back