Drainage pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to lay some ground drainage which will run into a solid pipe under the driveway and off to the drain. My question is ...
Is 100mm ducting pipe OK to use or should I be using something more solid. The pipe will be buried approximately 2-3ft down and surrounded by 10mm pea gravel (or should I use concrete?). The drive will then be covered at a later date with imprinted concrete.

It may also be worth adding that there will be no traffic passing over the pipe area.

I chose the ducting simply because I figured it would be easier to join the 100mm land drain pipe. Ideally the pipe would be smaller but I wouldn't know how to connect the two pipes together!

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
it is very easy and convenient to buy a multitude of fittings for regular 110mm underground plastic drain pipe. therefore, whenever builders come across old salt glaze for instance, it makes sense to convert to plastic, with special couplers as quickly as possible. the builder can then run his new pipework safe in the knowledge just about any bend, fitting or i.c. chamber can be fitted to this diameter of pipe.

you are making a rod for your own back by trying to cobble up ducting pipes to drainage systems.

having said all that, a rubber jubilee clamp type collar may get you out of trouble.

under b.c. regulations all pipes passing under paved areas require concrete encasement.

Thanks for that noseall. I hadn't planned on concreting in the pipe but might as well do the job properly.

Next problem ... how do I lay concrete when it rains constantly day after day? I have plenty of plastic to cover the setting concrete but with the concrete lying in the botton of a trench it doesn't take much rain before the hole starts to fill!

a bit of rain aint gonna hurt no concrete, unless it's trowel finish of course.

after all, concrete loves water. the more the merrier. :D

Sponsored Links
DarrenSL said:
Thanks for that noseall. I hadn't planned on concreting in the pipe but might as well do the job properly.

Next problem ... how do I lay concrete when it rains constantly day after day? I have plenty of plastic to cover the setting concrete but with the concrete lying in the botton of a trench it doesn't take much rain before the hole starts to fill!

Water and concrete are best friends. Its not drying out that makes the concrete hard, its a chemical reaction started by water. I have regulary cast concrete in water for boat moorings. When I poured the footings for my house, the trenches were full of water, we just poured the concrete in to displace the water, tamped level under about 12 inches of concrete and walked away. 1 week later we pumped the water out and the brickies put the brickwork in upto splash course, building inspector loved it, took photos and everything.

The key to strong concrete is to allow it to cure over a long period of time, not let it dry out fast, hence why in the summer you need to cover concrete from hot sun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back