draining down and filling up diffuclties?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive just started plumbing for myself after doing city and guilds level 2, three times ive done private jobs involving central heating and eveery time i fill up the system it gets air in and causes problems? any tips on filling up properly? thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
pot luck mostly on a gravity system open the mot valves to manual can stop air locks.
i try not to drain if ican help it just bung the system saves alot of time.

in the f/e tank put a rubber bung in the vent pipe and one in the feed pipe that then creates a vacuum in the system so you can do work on the rads etc and only loose a cup of water.

Sponsored Links
what do you mean bung the system?

Im guessing he means bung the pipe that he cuts temporarily until he connects it, instead of draining the full system. this is doable with compression fittings but obviously not soldered.

Its also possible to get freeze kits, these have been suprisingly good the times ive used them. They freeze the water in the pipe solid, so you freeze both ends of the pipe your cutting, then you have about 10-15 minutes before the ice plug defrosts.

edit : no he didnt mean that then :), however i see how that would work.

City & Guilds level 2 and they dont teach you the basics of bunging the system.

Next youll be saying you dont know how to backfill a system to get rid of airlocks.

ive just started plumbing for myself after doing city and guilds level 2, three times ive done private jobs involving central heating and eveery time i fill up the system it gets air in and causes problems? any tips on filling up properly? thanks for your time
Fill the system slowly, dont allow water to gush into F&E.

do they - well i'll be f**ed they must all be daydreaming out the window then. :LOL:

City & Guilds level 2 and they dont teach you the basics of bunging the system.

Next youll be saying you dont know how to backfill a system to get rid of airlocks.

How do you backfill a system to get rid of airlocks?

Go to your local Plumbcenter and purchase a Backfiller!

It will all become obvious then!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back