Draining Down CW Storage Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to drain-down the huge CW storage tank in my loft so I can install a shower pump. The gate valve in the airing cupboard on the CW feed from the tank doesn't shut the flow off completely (lime scale?) and I was going to bung the tank, but access makes that very difficult, if not impossible. So, do I need to be wary of sludge at the bottom of the tank and/or air locks when everything refills? Anything else I need to be aware of?

I also notice my Stuart Turner pump has no gauze filters on the inlet flexis. Is that normal or am I missing them? Will give them a call later.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Turn off supply to tank and use a hosepipe to empty it by syphoning it either outside or into wc/bath.
It works well and empties quite quickly.
If you force the gate valve it could snap.

Bung the cistern if you're then going to tap it to provide a new feed for the pump? Not sure how that would work.

Isolate the feed to the cistern or tie up the ball valve and drain down that way. What does your cold cistern feed? Hot water cylinder and bathroom? Just use the taps in the bathroom to drain. Once empty then time to clean the cold cistern of crud n stuff and clean out. You could also replace the gate valve once drained down. If that's taking too long then a hose and syphon or bail with a funnel on it to speed up emptying the tank out.

As long as you don't have strange pipework that rises at any point and when refilling have the taps fed from the tank open a little this should then hopefully avoid you getting any airlocks.

Sometime the filters are in the inlets on the pump itself, what pump is it?

I was planning on bunging the tank then installing the pump inline with the dedicated CW feed for the bath fillers in the bathroom and en-suite.

Is cleaning the tank out optional? Access to the tank is very difficult... it's very large and has been raised-up on stilts so the top of the tank is almost touching the rafters. It's impossible to see into the tank and I don't think I could even get my hand into it.

Gate valve is being swapped-out for a full bore lever ball valve.

Pump is a Monsoon Universal Twin. Did actually read earlier that the filters are on the inlets and not the flexis.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not sure how you will bung the tank without getting your hand into the bottom of it then?

Cleaning out isn't essential, and as long as you don't disturb the bottom then there shouldn't be any crap pulled into the pump filters. Was just if you were in there bunging the tank then could have been done at the same time. If you are planning to pump all the cold, remember the toilets are on that too so @ 4 am in the morn the pump will go on after the hit 'n' miss :) unless the pump is on a timer.

Yup, universal twin has the filters in the inlets, not on the end of the flexi's.

your shower pump should have it's own dedicated connection to the cwsc and should be lower than the connection to the hot water cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back