Draining my Tribune Hot Water Tank.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I may have got to the bottom of my green hot water as in a previous post. I have noticed on my Range Tribune unvented indirect hot water cylinder where the thermostat goes into the cylinder body there is a load of white chrystaline crud. It looks like some sort of chemical reaction between the two metals and some of it has flowed down the side before setting hard. I want to take out the thermostat and clean it in case its inside as well but I need to drain it first. (Might do the immersion heater at the same time).
There appears to only be one tap which I am guessing is the mains cold water going in. If I turn this off (as well as the electrics/boiler etc) and open the hot taps can I simply drain the cylinder down using the drain outlet on the side? Is it as simple as that? Please say yes! Any pitfalls in turning it all back on again?
Cheers,

Sponsored Links
That's pretty much how it works yep.

Switch off the boiler. Switch electricty off at the fuse box.

Switch off power to the immersion heater, remove top cover and disconnect flex from terminals.

Shut off cold water feed to the cylinder.

Open hot and cold bathroom taps to drain supply pipes.

Attach a length of hose to the drain valve, lead it to a drainage point, open the drain valve and allow all the water to leave the cylinder.

If you've decided to clean the immersion heater too, this is where you unscrew the immersion heater cover using a special Immersion Heater Spanner (Google it if you don't have one) and carefully draw it out of the cylinder.

As you've got an indirect cylinder you'll need to disconnect the cold water inlet, the hot water outlet and all connections to and from the cylinder coil.

Once this is done you can remove the cylinder and give it a damn good clean!

As far as problems go with putting it all back together just reverse the process. Just make sure there are no leaks as you do and you'll be golden ^^

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back