Descaling my unvented water cylinder.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to introduce a solution of Fernox DS3 descaler into my Tribune unvented cylinder which is heated by immersion heaters. I live in a hard water area. Water softener is not an option.

Here's what I propose:
1.Turn off electrics, cold and hot water. This isolates the system completely.
2. Drain the whole cylinder via the drain tap located at the bottom of the cylinder.
3. Make up the descaling solution as per Fernox recommendations.
4.Attach a tube to the drain tap spigot and introduce the descaling solution using either gravity or fluid transfer pump.

Any suggestions, criticisms etc welcome. So far as I can see, I have not interfered with the workings/safety of the boiler.

The only problem I can think of is that the drain tap might have some sort of non-return mechanism that stops the flow. In that case, I would use the 3/4 inch BSP hot inlet tap for the washing machine to introduce the descaler.

Sponsored Links
You need to be registered to work on unvented (G3)
Unvented cylinders should be checked and serviced every year to maintain the 25year guarantee.
I wouldn't use DS3 in an unvented cylinder.
Thanks. Does servicing include descaling? Just bought the flat. There is no record of servicing by previous owners. It was a repossession. System was installed in 2005.

Servicing wouldn't normally include descaling, that's more of a repair job. Why do you think it needs descaling?

Sponsored Links
Range tribune ...... get rid of it , let me guess your hw taps very poor flow , they have a design problem and I’m sorry to say it’s not worth the hassle , new cylinder needed and no u can’t get any scrap value out of it before you ask

Servicing wouldn't normally include descaling, that's more of a repair job. Why do you think it needs descaling?
Thanks. Having lived in a hard water area previously, I just considered it prudent to have the boiler descaled before any scale build up causes a real problem.

Range tribune ...... get rid of it , let me guess your hw taps very poor flow , they have a design problem and I’m sorry to say it’s not worth the hassle , new cylinder needed and no u can’t get any scrap value out of it before you ask
Thanks. No problems so far. Just being cautious and trying to avoid any scale buildup giving a real problem in future. I have lived in a hard water are previously.

Thanks. It's in a flat, electrics only. Moved to a flat for a quiet life in me old age! Want to avoid problems in future.

Oh yes and my mate had an injector stuck on his van garage couldn't pull it out so I kept putting vinegar on it over a week and then got the garage to try it and out it came it's great for descaling taps soak a rag and tie it to the spout for a couple of hours and see the results.Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back