Cost of descaling hot water cylinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a plumber coming to descale my hot water cylinder as it has almost totally seized up, any idea what a reasonable cost to expect would be?

If it was anything else I'd do it myself but I hate touching plumbing

Thanks

Sponsored Links
no

but if you live in a very hard water area

1) turn down the thermostat a bit. 60 deg C is hot enough. the hotter it is the more it will scale

2) save up and buy a water softener (a proper ion-exchange one that you put salt in every month or so). this is the only kind that removes lime from the water (magic magnets don't).

As well as removing lime and preventing future scale, the soft water will gradually dissolve old scale from taps, pipes, WC cisterns and water tanks. I believe they say it takes as long to dissolve as it took to build up. In my cold tank and cistern I'm pretty sure it was quicker than that. the hot water cylinder (when replaced) was clean except there was a pile of loose scale at the bottom where it had broken up and fallen off the coil.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, I'll remeber that to stop it happening again

Cylinder is a 160 litre indirect coil one

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back