Draining rads with TRV's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to remove some radiators this evening but they have TRV's which if I'm not mistaken don't close the valve off completely as the minimum setting is the frost setting. So how do I do it, is it just a case of removing the TRV head or is there more to it than that. TRV's are Drayton TRV4's.

Sponsored Links
So how do I do it, is it just a case of removing the TRV head or is there more to it than that. TRV's are Drayton TRV4's.
Removing the TRV head will leave the valve wide open - so that's not a good idea. ;)

The proper way to do it is to use a Decorators Cap - one comes with each Drayton TRV. You may be able to get them from your local plumbers merchant or from Drayton themselves, probably for free.

0845 130 5522
[email protected]

However, the easiest way is to insert a coin or metal washer inside the head and then replace the head (set the dial to Max before replacing) Then close the TRV slowly until it won't go any further. The valve will then be shut off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back