Draining thru Micro bore pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my CH system has 22mm which does a loop upstairs with micro bor coming off to upstairs rads , also micro bore drops down to all downstairs rads,

im planning on adding a rad downstairs but wondering wether draining down system might block the microbore pipe with sludge.

or would it be better to turn off all the rads and just drain the pipework?

any advice would be good to an old duffer like me

Sponsored Links
Drain down deffinatly. Then add your rad, if you've got a combi fill using the filling loop to top up the system, making sure to add a decent inhibitor.

If your on gravity then I'd back fill the system off mains pressure, basically connect a hose to a cold water tap and fill it up, always handy to have someone watch your expansion tank when doing this though otherwise you could get wet, as soon as water appears in the tank shut it off and switch on the supply to the float vale to get it to level. Bleed rads and you may need to balance your rads which is in the FAQ

thanks ,
its a combi system,

so you dont think it will be a problem draining the system thru micro bore?

No draining shouldn't be a problem, just find the drain tap, connect a hose to it and empty it, make sure your heating is switched off first though :rolleyes:

then just re-fill using the filling loop back to about 1.5 bar but add an inhibitor first as mentioned before.

Sponsored Links
You need to buy a 'tube' of inhibitor, bit like a silcone sealant tube, remove a leed screw off one radiator and use the hose connector and pump the inhibitor the radiator, replace bleed screw and refill system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back