Draught from upstairs floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just ripped out a dirty old carpet from our front upstairs bedroom. There is quite a big draught coming up from the floorboard gaps which i can only assume is coming from the plain tiled front bay. Seeing as this is a 1925 house, can I assume that the bay will simply be lath and tile with the lath and plaster internally letting the cold air belt under the tiles into the floor void and into the room? Of course an exploratory hole would confirm, but this is down my list and I’m just mulling it over.

Is the solution to take off the bay radiator, rip out the internal lath and plaster then PIR board in between studs before making good? Don’t fancy stripping tiles externally.

Sponsored Links
you can block the draft between the floorboards by taking up the boards next to the wall and stuffing the space between the joists with mineral wool as used in lofts. I recommend the brown version treated with Ecose, which does not shed irritant dust and fibres. It is marked on the packaging.

hoover out the gap before you stuff it.

Because mineral wool can be stuffed into an irregular gap without needing to be cut to a perfect fit, it is easier than board.

That seems like a good interim fix. I would however like to insulate the bay at some point.

Be careful not to block airflow for ventilation otherwise you can get dampness build up.

Sponsored Links
Be careful not to block airflow for ventilation otherwise you can get dampness build up.
Should there be a need for ventilation in the floor void between ground floor ceiling and upstairs floor? I'm aware of the need at ground floor level.

Should there be a need for ventilation in the floor void between ground floor ceiling and upstairs floor? I'm aware of the need at ground floor level.

yes you're right, did not read it properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back