Draughty bay window - tile cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Thirties built semi with first floor and ground floor double-glazed bay windows, with hanging tile cladding between the bays - the rest of the house is single skin brick. The tiles appear to be in good order. The first floor bay is in the master bedroom with fitted cabinet/drawers across the bay width, floor to sill. It was fitted five years ago shortly after I moved in. The double glazing was fitted shortly before and the windows seals are good.

The aspect is North-East and when the wind comes from NE the room gets very cold. Draughts can be felt around the fitted furniture. Although the ground floor bay is quite chilly it doesn't suffer from draughts. The adjacent room upstairs has a smaller bay which doesn't have tile cladding. This room has no problem with draughts. When the wind moves round to the West the problem in the goes away. The draughts have been a problem since moving in but this winter's bad weather means I've had enough.

Without removing the tiles, my guess is that either there is no felt under the tiles or what was there has rotted away. I doubt there's any insulation either.

Will a roofer be able to determine if this is the problem by removing a small selection of tiles?

What would be the best way to stop the draughts? Would removing the tiles and fitting this membrane do the job? Would the membrane go on top of the batons or will the batons need taking off?

http://www.buildbase.co.uk/buildbase_roofersguide/pages/rubershieldpro.html

Then there's the question of insulation under the tiles - is there usually space to fit it?. If there is, would celotex or mineral wool be best?

Would be interested in your opinions before I get someone in to remove tiles.

Thanks!

Mark

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back