Painting bay window tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a 1920's house that has concrete vertical tiles cladding the bay between the first and ground floor.

I've had a quote of £1250 to insulate the bay and replace the tiles although my roofer has told me that the joints will be mitred as he says they no longer do the corner tiles. I'm not averse to getting the whole thing replaced but it seems a shame to get rid of an original feature as the tiles are in good order, they just look a little 'grey'.

Can I paint over them with masonry paint? Would anyone recommend this at all?

Attachments

• bay.jpg
    bay.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 6,529
Sponsored Links
Never paint if they're not already painted.

Pressure wash them while they're removed, then re-use?

Last edited:
image.jpeg
Is there a reason why you can't paint them? I don't think pressure washing would help

As above.
Never paint tile.
You never paint tile of any kind because the paint will not take and you will be up and down for years making it good. Plus, no matter the paint, if water gets behind the paint it will look shabby after a year or two.

Your tile looks in excellent condition - its simply weathered.
For my money I wouldn't pressure wash either - that can sometimes bring its own problems.

Insulation could be applied from inside - the job would be much cheaper.

FWIW: LH & RH external corner tiles are available.

Sponsored Links
As above.
Never paint tile.
You never paint tile of any kind because the paint will not take and you will be up and down for years making it good.

Thanks for the info. I think the paint would take as they aren't clay (I think concrete).

I'm going to try painting a small area as there's nothing lost if the whole lot has to come down, it's just a shame, I don't like removing original features. Would masonry paint work (Farrow and Ball)?

Wow you're keen to paint! And you will regret it, because you will have to repaint it every year. Doesn't matter if it's brick, stone, clay, concrete... It all ends up looking like this after a few months in the British climate.

In all honesty your tiles look nice to me. A natural patina!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back