Draughty House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into a 12 year old house just over 1 year ago and now finding that on coldish windy days that the house cools down pretty quickly after the heating has knocked off.
The house has upvc double glazing and loft and wall insulation (I'm guessing it has wall insulation). Over the last 2-3 months we’ve noticed that that some rooms are a lot cooler than others.
I'm not too sure where to start. How do I tell where the draughts are coming from?
I have noticed that the back door has air coming through the bottom of the door – I’ve no idea how to fix?
Also the patio doors have a gap top and bottom (about 5mm) – any ideas how I can reduce the gap?
Any recommendations much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Firstly a 12 yr old house will have cavity wall insulation.

Secondly what kind of back door is it - timber/upvc? Also the patio doors?

Usually you would expect to find some in-built draught strip - rubber, brush or felt type - around the doors. Is there anything like this and is there any sign of damage etc?

A couple of pics would help.

The patio doors are uvpc. After a bit of investigation the gap between the the opening right hand door and plastic uvpc is 10mm (excluding the black seal). The left hand door seems to move around inside the hinges see photos.
The right hand side door also seems to move in and out by up to 10mm (when closed!!). On a windy day I can feel the cool air coming in!!

Patio Doors

Backdoor

Sponsored Links
it just needs adjusting, try it yourself by thinking logically about what each part does, start with the slave door tightening it up with the receivers, then work on the master door. OR ring a local fitter they should do it in ten mins

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back