Draughty uPVC Windows Fix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have upvc windows in my home and several are draughty on the hinge side. When I've looked around the windows it appears to be a problem with the little plastic wedge things (sorry, I don't know the terminology) on the hinge side of the window. All of the windows have a similarly size wedge block thing on the frame. However, several of the windows with the hinge on the left have an 11mm block on the opening part and several have a 17mm wedge block thing. If I swap the blocks around, any window that gets the 17mm block if magically fixed.

On the windows with the hinge at the top, some have the 11mm block and don't have draughts. Two which are particularly draughty have the wedge on the frame but no wedge at all on the opening part of the window.

So my questions are:

1. Is it OK top buy some new 17mm wedge block doodahs and fit them to the windows that only have the smaller block? (Am I going to damage anything by doing so?)

2. Can I fit blocks to the windows that have them missing? If so, how would I go about it. Is there something in the middle of the opening part where the wedge should be that accepts a screw? Do I start out with a drilled pilot hole or a few taps with my bradawl?

3. What are these wedge things called and where can I buy some? I've found some things on eBay but they don't quite look the same (mine are squarer with a flatter wedged surface) and the distance between the screw holes is different - I'd rather use the same holes if possible. (The ones I found are at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-SETS-SA...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item721654a462)

Thanks for any help :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back