Drayton HTS3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all and thanks in advance if you can help me.

i am trying to connect a Drayton HTS3 to my hot water cylinder, i have 3 core cable at present running straight to the heater, i cannot figure out how to wire this in based on the instructions with the stat.
i have COMMON....1 CALL FOR HEAT 2 SATISFIED... what would be the correct way to wire this?
thanks

Sponsored Links
A couple of questions to clarify -

Is the cylinder part of a central heating system, with gas, oil, etc as the fuel?

Or is it an all elecric system with an immersion heater?

Are you replacing an old cylinder stat or adding a new one?

What heating controls do you already have?

Is the cylinder part of a central heating system, with gas, oil, etc as the fuel?

no, this is just a water heater

Or is it an all elecric system with an immersion heater?

yes

Are you replacing an old cylinder stat or adding a new one?

adding new one as there is not one and the water temp is coming out at about 70, i am fitting a shower pump and it is recomended 65 max

What heating controls do you already have?

none, our heating is electric and none on the water

If you are saying that you wish to connect the HTS3 to the immersion heater then this is a big No, No. The contacts in the HTS3 are rated at 3A and a 3kW immersion heater will draw 13A.

There should be a thermostat inside the head of the immersion heater which is adjustable with a small screwdriver. You will need to adjust this down to get a hot water temperature of 65deg C

Sponsored Links
In that case the HTS3 isn't the right stat for the job.

In the cylinder there will be one, or if you are on economy 7, possibly two immersion heaters. These will have their own inbuilt thermostats.

The thermostat can be found under the cap of the immersion heater. Usually it's a long rod with a connection box in the top, with two wires attached (live and switched live). The rod usually sits in a dry pocket and is not visible unless the thermostat is removed.

Often the thermostat has a little dial on the top which can be used to adjust the temperature. If there are two heaters they will both need setting.

If there is no dial, you can replace the thermostat without draining the cylinder. Just disconnect the two wires and pull the thermostat out (edit - after turning the electricity off!). Then take it to your local plumbers merchants, and ask for a new one to replace it.

Hope that helps.

thanks guys, just checked, look like there is one built in.
thanks again, just saved me a headache.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back