drayton timer problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello and thanks to all that answer,

This is an electrical question stay with it!

I have a vaillant combi boiler which is not firing/pumping (heating) however the boiler is producing hot water and no fault codes are displayed. I have a drayton timer. sorry don't no the model number but its not digital. its not connected to a room stat and connected to connections 3 and 4 of the vaillant. The LED on the drayton no longer illuminates (even in 24hr mode) so I'm thinking its broke. Just thought i would ask you pro's for any other ideas before i get my fluke out tommorrow night.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the timer has a standard backplate (L,N,1,2,3,4 in a row along the top edge of the plate), then an easy check is to remove the timer completely, and fit a wire link between L and 4. If the central heating now works, you just need a new timer/programmer.

thanks, tried that still nothing. then i removed the external controls by bridging connections 3 and 4. still nothing. Any ideas??any thing else i can check myself before getting someone in? thanks.

The only other thing to check would be that there is power at the programmer itself - the L terminal should be permanently live.
If it is, the fault is with the boiler or the wiring between the boiler and programmer.

Sponsored Links
update- i'm an idiot! Linking 3 and 4 at the boiler now works, so its definately the timer! I'll not tell you my mistake because there's enough **** taking on this site so I won't open the floodgates for more!

Will a newer, digital (drayton) programmer mount to the backplate already installed? Or do will i really have to read the instructions!! p.s I will read them anyway so don't worry, i won't just plonk it on if you say yes.

thanks again and sorry for wasting your time earlier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back