Drill without a clutch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a powerful (Min 1200w - 1500w) drill that does NOT have a safety clutch. The reason it can't have a clutch is it's going to be used to raise and lower my car lift. Now I know that most cheap drills a few years ago (including SDS) didn't have a clutch, but I'm really having trouble finding out which ones. If I can get a make and model I can simply buy an old one on eBay.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Powerful means it will rip your arm off. A drill isn't suitable for your purpose. You should work out what torque you need and get a powered screw driver that works at much slower speed. Lidl corded driver can do 40Nm. Even that is enough to twist my arm after a few drives.

I'm aware of that. My car lift has a built-in device that holds the drill down with very large bolts to prevent it from twisting. I need in excess of 95Nm so I'm still looking at an older model 1500w SDS without a clutch. (oh, and it must not be an impact driver as the lift clearly states that this will destroy the gear mechanism in the lift.

I'm aware of that. My car lift has a built-in device that holds the drill down with very large bolts to prevent it from twisting. I need in excess of 95Nm so I'm still looking at an older model 1500w SDS without a clutch. (oh, and it must not be an impact driver as the lift clearly states that this will destroy the gear mechanism in the lift.
Industrial/trade SDS drills have always had clutches, right back to when Bosch brought them out in about 1979/80. The majority of 2kg class SDS drills have motors in the 500 to 900 watt range, 3kg class machines are generally a bit more powerful, but not that much. So I think you are looking for the wrong thing and what you might need is something like a dry diamond core drill - but most if not all have clutches. Those drills are high torque, the impact can be turned off, and some like the old Bosch and Metabo drills look very similar to an SDS drill. And at least they come with a 3-jaw chuck, unlike an SDS. The biggest problem might be the lack of soft start/variable speed - features which only started coming in in the 1990s (or later) on such drills

No doubt there is a cheap piece of Chinese tat somewhere that will do what you want, though

Sponsored Links
Maybe use a torque multiplier.

As above, you can get geared torque multiplying attachments. I have never used one, but they are not cheap.

Alternatively buy a tool that will do the job without requiring add ons.

The above will provide 1750Nm of torque.

Not cheap though.

Edit_ my bad you said no impact drivers.

For the record, my 18v drill has a hard torque of 120Nm.

Other cordless drills are available.

BTW, I have no idea which one (lift) you have, but autoLift say that cordless drill with more than 35Nm are fine

Look through the comments where someone asks about the drill type.

Last edited:
...a paddle mixer would have a soft start, slow speed and plenty of torque, but may need adaption to fit the car lift, as it isn't a drill shaped body.

Who supplied the lift? Do they say any drill is OK? Do they supply the right tool for it?

AFAIK it has a clutch (without one it might be a bit dangerous). Not as powerful as this baby, though:

20230605_185846.jpg

Makita, of course (DDG460) - with 136Nm of torque. I think the OP may be looking for something a wee bit less spendy than the thick end of £350, though, without batteries or charger. Goes through beams a treat! (although you do need the additional side handle)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back