Drilling 750mm down for 4 inch duct - how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am putting a new water pipe into our garage.

i have dag the trench outside and now i need to create a hole in the garage floor and then remove the brickwork below to insert a underground pipe bend (duct for water pipe).

Whats best way to do this? should i use breaker on the garage floor, then remove some of the brick to insert the pipe. then i should cement the garage floor up.

any tips? tools to do it?

is it likley i will need any Damp proof membrane as im going down deep into the garage?

Sponsored Links
As far I have have found water pipes are not put in ducts. I suppose it depends what sort of pipe you are using. I would just wrap some cardboard and plastic bags around the pipe where it passes through concrete.
I would not ever use a breaker in these circumstances, the floor might break up in some unexpected way. The vibration will not do it any good anyway.
The main problem is that the pipe in the trench is horizontal and I expect you want the pipe to rise verticaly within the garage next to the wall. So either you need to put in an underground right angled connector, which you can tighten in-situ or bend your pipe into a suitabley small radius.
I think the way I would do it would be to use plastic sleeved 15mm soft copper (its used for oil tank feeds to oil boilers). Drill a 25mm hole as tight to the wall as possible, aiming to exit at about 18" below floor level. Find this hole in your trench and open the top of the hole up , so when the pipe has a reasonable radius bent on it it will do the right angle change of direction at this point.
To make good the floor , just poke some foam into the hole and put some mortar on top.
Frank

There are building regulations for types of pipe in concrete. Don`t remember cardboard or plastic bags being advised though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back