drilling a wall tile.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Searched but not found an explicit answer , so help please.
i'm tiling a shower cubicle and need to drill a couple of 1/2" holes for shower plumbing in a 10 X 8 tile. Is this feasible with a masonry drill? should I drill a pilot hole and progress upwards or go straight in with the 1/2". I need to drill before fixing the tile. Your help will save me a few broken tiles.

regards..
paddy

Sponsored Links
I would drill a series of small holes, or if you have a good file its possible to drill a large hole & then file out.

May be worth considering a pilot hole and then a hand saw to cut to the size required. This is just an example..... click me

Geoff

thanks for your advice, I guess I'll practice your ideas on a part tile.

regards..

Sponsored Links
You can drill them with an ordinary masonary drill - use it with hammer action OFF,and slowly until through the glaze on the tile.(Can also use special tile drill bits if you have them)
1/2"/13mm might be too much in one go - try 6/8 mm first,then in with the big one

Drilling into a tile.

If you look at www.tileforums.com they have mentioned a tool to help with drilling into tiles called a drill guide. I bought one 2 weeks ago. I cant fault it especially as it is so cheap. I tile professionally however I think it will benefit all. Just wish I had thought of the idea first.
:rolleyes:
Ty :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back