Drilling into new plaster??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just plastered my chimney breast ready for the new electric fire to go.
Just wondered if there is any recommended time I should leave it before I drill the holes to hang it?

Thanx
Maria

Sponsored Links
No absolute answer, other than as long as possible, to allow to set, dry and cure. Can we assume the walls have now been decorated, therefore a period of time was allowed for plaster to dry out? If so, should be fine to drill in to now.

No not decorated yet, but all ready. trying to wait as long as i can Was only done tuesday

many thanx

Maria

The drying time will depend on the depth of basecoat applied (if not boarded).
It is important for the plaster to be allowed to dry fully, as decorating over this will cause paint to fail, flake and blister and wallpaper not to adhere.
Any furniture or pictures/mirrors, put up against these walls, will also trap in moisture.
There is no real given time, as there are a lot of variables, concerning plaster depth, surface applied to and drying conditions.
I would never try to force the drying though, just keep the area dry and warm.
6 weeks is often given as a rule of thumb, prior to painting. I would say with regards to the drilling of holes, that a weeks drying would be sufficient.

Sponsored Links
if it is still moist, it will tend to grab the drill, then you will have to patch the hole.

i think a week or two, if on dry old brickwork. Damp brickwork can take months. If you are suspicious, start with an undersize drill

Use a matt, non-vinyl emulsion such as Dulux Trade Supermatt, once the surface is uniformly pale pink with no brown patches. keep the windows open and it will not take long. Supermatt is not very durable but is porous and will allow the wall to dry out through it. Thin the first coat or two with water so it soaks in.

When the wall is fully dry, you can paint or paper over the supermatt with a more durable finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back