Dripping Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced the thermostatic radiator valves on the radiators the other week, refilled the system and bled and refilled where necessary.

Yesterday evening I noticed that the boiler is dripping water, it seems to be coming from somewhere above the filler part where the key would go in (will try and take a picture later).

It drip constantly around a drip per second, if you run the central heating or the hot water it slows the drip down. This morning I noticed that the water was warm that was dripping after the heating had been on.

Anyone have any ideas of what it could be? Or what to look for, I suspect it is a washer but not sure where to look exactly and what steps to take.

The boiler is a combination Wocester 28CDi.

Sponsored Links
Lots of places where these can leak. Lift off the front cover and drop the control panel down (2 screws) and have a closer look.

You can refurbish those valves, but it is a pig of a job. Better fit a complete new diverter valve. If you've not done one, then allow 4 hrs. With good access I have done them in 90 mins.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice, I have looked at a new one and going to see what cost I can get one for on Monday - system works - just have to refill once in a while.

Just another question, I was at the same time thinking of adding a Magnaclean or equivalent. I have access to add it but I am not sure where I need to connect which of the four/five pipes that go into/out of the boiler that it connects to.

How best do I find this out?

That leak can be mains water or system water.

My guess would be mains.

Turn off water inlet to boiler and open hot tap and see if dripping stops!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back