Leaky boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Wocester Bosch Junior 28i boiler and it's dripping around 5l of water in a 24hr period.

It started many weeks ago when we noticed water dripping in through the ceiling from the attic (Flue goes into attic and out through the roof). Water was dripping out from the flue. I loosened off the housing covering the flue then re-tighten and the dripping stopped. OK at this point I should have called a plumber at this point......

Thought all was well then noticed the other day in the cupboard where the boiler is that the spare bedding and towels in there were soaking and loads of water is dripping out the bottom of the boiler.

Done a few checks and water isn't actually being disposed of through the waste pipe from the boiler.

A plumber is coming to look at it but might not be for a few days.

Is it safe to leave it running while it's dripping so much? I switch it off at night but leave it on in the day so we have hot water!

Any ideas of what it might be?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As much as i'd like to give some advice on this i think it better if you wait for one of the guys in CC to advise , seems this is the only place to be if gas registered?

Meanwhile i think you should switch the boiler off.

if the system pressurte gauge is not dropping the leak must either be -
a) Condensate, or
b) Domestic water side

needs sorting sooner than later!

in mean time some old towels ans containers to catch the water would be a good idea

if the system pressurte gauge is not dropping the leak must either be -
a) Condensate, or
b) Domestic water side

needs sorting sooner than later!

in mean time some old towels ans containers to catch the water would be a good idea

Pressure gauge is under 1

Sponsored Links
A possible reason why the condensate is dripping would be if the condensate discharge pipe is run in copper or if any fittings are brass, as the condensate is acidic and rots the copper pipework.

The discharge pipe could be blocked and the condensate has backed up to the first air gap.

Sounds like condensate not fitted correctly or backing up. Also get engineer to check flue that you checked. :)

It sounds as if your boiler is poorly installed and poorly maintained. The only sensible thing to do is to get a RGI out and have him check the whole system, not just the boiler, and correct all the faults.

Do you have a properly filled out and signed off Benchmark?

It sounds as if your boiler is poorly installed and poorly maintained. The only sensible thing to do is to get a RGI out and have him check the whole system, not just the boiler, and correct all the faults.

Do you have a properly filled out and signed off Benchmark?

Yep it was installed by a corgi register installer and been serviced yearly. Guess I've just been unlucky.

Wocester Bosch are coming out on Monday. Plumber looked at it today who use to fit WB but took one look at it and said to get WB out. He now fits Baxi as he said he was tired of WB boilers going wrong all the time and they use cheap parts? I tried to disagree with him as I thought they were a good make but I'm not in the know when it comes to boilers. Said he's not had 1 fault with the baxis he's fitted over the last 2 1/2 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back