Dripping Bristan tap from nut - Allen key?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I have a small weep/ drip that I can’t stop despite trying plumbers tape, putty and nipping them up etc.

It seems as though the drip maybe coming from the tap side of the nut as opposed to the back... highlighted in red on the photo...

If I take the taps off, leaving the uprights coming through the bath and look inside the taps, I can see an Allen key type fitting. I suspect it’s this I may need to tighten but cannot find an Allen size key the right size.

Do plumbers have a specific Allen key for such things?! I have an extensive set, as does my neighbour and none fit...!

Or, anything else it maybe..?!

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 40CD0E8C-6832-4688-BE44-8F999A384C48.jpeg
    40CD0E8C-6832-4688-BE44-8F999A384C48.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 327
Sponsored Links
Another photo

Attachments

• E96B187E-4037-4407-AA93-EFA797E3FECF.jpeg
    E96B187E-4037-4407-AA93-EFA797E3FECF.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 305
Have you tried replacing the fibre washer that goes between the tap and the upstands, number 11 in your photo?

Hi Andrew, I think it has a rubber one... maybe I should try a fibre one if that is what is is meant to have?

Difficult to explain, but it's almost like the weep is coming from the wrong side of the nut on the taps which is why I thought of tightening the actual body of the tap etc.

Sponsored Links
I've tried a large selection of allen keys anyway... propbably metric and imperial!

Definitely not splined either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back