dripping feed to cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My loo cistern has suddenly decided to drip from the feed pipe and cause the overflow to drip.

The ballcock could be adjusted but for the build up of limescale (see photo) but I suspect it might be the other end that's the problem - ie is there a washer or something that closes off the entry point when the ballcock rises? Might this need replacing and if so how?

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 55
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 46
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
You can either fit a brand new ballcock cost around 10 quid,or strip down the existing one ,clean it and fit new parts / seals.
If you choose the latter ,the big brass knurled nut ,where the float arm meets the valve, unscrews off to access the innards.

Thanks. Have disconnected the ball and removed the plastic water inlet to get access/space to the connections.

I can turn the whole unit now but it just turns- does not unscrew.....

Do I need to disconnect where the pipe comes through the side of the cistern (I'd rather not!)?

Attachments

• loo4.JPG
    loo4.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 37
You need 2 sets of decent grips. One to hold the body 9f the valve,and the other to unscrew the knurled nut (Probably held together firmly by Limescale).

Sponsored Links
You need something to hold against turning it, like footprint wrench, grips et al, failing that just replace it.

One to hold the body 9f the valve,and the other to unscrew the knurled nut (Probably held together firmly by Limescale).
sorry to be slow but...
which bit is the 'valve' that needs holding? If it's the section to the right (where the plastic water inlet was), then turning the nut on its left anti-clockwise will just tighten the twoparts together. Or am I turning it the wrong way.....?

Replacing it is the idea - but got to get the old one out first!

Apologies ,I thought you was trying to disassemble the valve ,not replace it.
If you are replacing ,that's done on the supply side ,externally.
And it looks,judging from your pics , like it may be awkward to do, as you will need to get spanners through that gap.
You should see a large hexagonal nut that tightens the valve to the cistern,next to that a smaller brass hexagonal nut that connects the supply pipe to the threaded valve tail. The smaller nut has to be undone first ,to seperate the supply pipe. Then remove the large nut and withdraw the whole thing from inside the cistern.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back