Driveway gate - post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wanting to have a wooden gate on the end of the drive. At 1 side of the drive we have a closeboard panel fence with concrete posts and nothing at the other side.
The top of the drive is tight so i have to be careful reversing as to miss the concrete post.
I know there's room at the other side to put another post whith fixings for a gate but the fence side is a bit awkward.
is it possible to hand a wooden gate using hinges from a concrete post as there isn't room to put another post near?

Sponsored Links
You could hang a gate from a concrete post, you would need to drill using a masonry drill bit in a hammer drill, but bear in mind there are probably re-inforcing wires buried within the concrete post.

Wotan

That's what's worrying me, i might end up drilling into the steel or crack the concrete :(

Alternatively using mild steel strip bent to encompas the post, you could have pintle pins welded on, a blacksmithy type job.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Be sure that the post is stable enough to hang a wide wooden gate from - they are pretty heavy (not to mention prone to be being stood on by kids!). Usually you'd have a 6 or 8" wooden post into a couple of feet of concrete to withstand the load. Most fencing is done with less strength in mind than that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back