Driveway paving slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am struggling with my driveway, it used to have 900x600x50cm flags on sand, to be fair, the vast majority are in a poor condition, and we basically just wanted to replace them. I am struggling to find slabs that are 50mm thick that I can afford as my local reclamation yards aren't stocking them, can I use a thinner slab to park a car on, and if I can is sand appropriate, many thanks

Sponsored Links
You need at least 150mm of MOT Type 1 road stone as a sub-base.

Sand and paving slabs just won't support the weight of a car.

Have a look at www.pavingexpert.com for everything you need.

I recently had a 7.5t dumper on my gravel drive with no issues what-so-ever. I put in about 150-200mm.

Thanks for the information, yes thought I was on a bit of a hiding to nothing, probably have to go pavers for walking on and gravel for parking on. Cheers Mark

Sponsored Links
If you go for gravel try something like a Golden Flint.

Two reasons for this. The first is that it's similar in colour to the MOT sub-base layer so if it starts to run thin then it will look better for longer. The second is that it's an angular stone so it locks together better than a pea gravel. Stick about 30-40mm of cover over the 150mm MOT and whacker it down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back