Driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a 100m2 of driveway and footpaths to the front of my house. I had the original asphalt/tarmac surface replaced in 1995 when it would have been c. 32 years old, with a red tarmac/asphalt surface. It was laid on the existing concrete base, with proven falls. I'd guess the depth of the layer on the concrete is c. 30-40mm. It has had large lorries on it to take away spoil from an excavation (I think we had 7-8 trips to remove 30-40m3 or soil.), so it is a reliable, solid base.

The surface is looking now looking worn, but has performed without issue since installation - perhaps some cracks in the surface, moss, and some excavations that have been refilled. There are some unsightly manhole covers I would like replaced with ones that carry the surface treatment
  1. I want to avoid the expense and inconvenience of replacing the concrete base. What are my options for a replacement surface, assuming we constrain depth to 30mm? With that constraint is having paving an option?
  2. Is repainting/restoring the existing surface a realistic option to make it "as good as new"?
  3. We've had 27 years of life from the surface, is that par for the course?
  4. Broadly what budget should I expect for (1) tarmac/asphalt. (2) resin bonded stones and (3) paving, including disposal of the existing surface
  5. Finally, I would like part of the drive to use artificial grass in combination with a load bearing, wearing course. Is that feasible?
The site is located in Beckenham, Kent.

Would be very grateful for any comments. Or looking at the image, if you are in the business and have a great idea, please share/get in contact

Attachments

• Driveway.png
    Driveway.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 85
Sponsored Links
I know you can treat tarmac if its generally in reasonable order, I would google "tarmac repair" and send detailed pics to the manufacturer for their input.

I know one supplier I contacted said I could repair the other said (correctly on reflection) that I could not, sorry cannot remember who that was but I would contact a few of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back