Dropping Boiler pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a sealed CH System with a Baxi Potterton Boiler and a Megaflo cylinder. Have noticed the pressure on the boiler dropping from 1.5bar to 0 in a week. I have gone through the various threads in this forum. Based on that isolated the boiler and confirmed the issue is not with the Boiler but somewhere in the system.

Without visible sign of a leak is there some controlled way of finding out a leak? Is there some Plumber/ Plumbing agency that specializes in leak detection. What is the best way to detect the leak without ripping floor boards and tiles?

I am novice DIYer so please go easy on me if I dont understannd all responses.

I live in North West London near Harrow

Sponsored Links
A leak that size is going to show if it was upstairs.

So it is either the safety discharge or the ground floor heating circuit.

If you have concrete floors the it is tricky. Various techniques are out there using thermal cameras, dyes, perfumes, acoustics, gas detection. Some are cheaper than others but none are universal.

Otherwise just lift and look if it a suspended floor.

Sponsored Links
Expansion vessel pressure checked by a heating engineer and was assured the pressure was OK.

Hi Dan

Unfortunately concrete and tiles on the ground floor. DO any of the leak detection techniques provide a definite. Have heard mixed feedback on the success rate

Was planning to add Fernox F4 Leak Sealer to see if that makes a difference. I have a Towel Rail. Being a DIY newbie, I have never done this before

Can I add the Fernox product into the Towel Rail without draining the system. Have read threads in here where people speak about isolating the Towel Rail. How does one isolate the Towel Rail. Is it just a matter of turning the two valves at the bottom of the Towel Rail to Off Position. (I have a Sealed CH System), opening the Nut near the Bleed valve and empyting the contents into the Towel Rail?

Appreciate any advice.

Expansion vessel pressure checked by a heating engineer and was assured the pressure was OK.

the expansion vessel might be fine but is it big enough?
what does the pressure gauge read when the system is hot?

what size is the expansion vessel? and have you worked out the volume of water in the central heating system?

the expansion vessel might be fine but is it big enough? Dont Know. How do I determine if it is bug enough
what does the pressure gauge read when the system is hot? It rises to between 2.3 and 2.5

what size is the expansion vessel? and have you worked out the volume of water in the central heating system? Absolutely no idea

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbi...2577236#ixzz2COL2iIPu[color=darkblue][/color]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back