DRY EMULSION PAINT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know how to remove dried emulsion paint from carpet? My son has redecorated his room but let paint soak through the dust sheet. looks dreadful. :(

Sponsored Links
Get an old piece of sandpaper, and gently sand the dried paint, it should come off.
Failing that, buy some brush cleaner from any DIY shop, its blue, and dab that on the paint, let it soak in, and wash it off.

The sandpaper should do the trick, as its happened to me the odd time, when there has been a gap in the dust sheets. :oops:

Try using those small sponges you use in the kitchen with a hard green side. If you pour some boilng water out of a kettle into a container then use the green edge of the sponge and gently rub and it will lift the emullsion. I normally use a little washing up liquid or washing powder...but if it is an old carpet you might get a clean patch! Try the water method it has never failed and I am the Frank Spencer of decorating disasters...the sort of bloke who finishes and stands back to admire another excellent masterpiece...only to kick over the remaining emulsion and spend the next several hours cleaning the mess up!

Very warm water will soften it

Sponsored Links
I too have a son like yours - emulsion paint on one carpet and hair dye on another!!
I managed to clean up the dried paint spill by first gently scraping the excess away with a palette knife and then sponging the area with warm water and a little detergent. Worked ok but still left a mark (bit cleaner in the area washed!) hardly noticeable.

Did see a commercial product called Oops- From the website:
HOMAX Oops!
THE ALL-PURPOSE REMOVER & CLEANER
REMOVES DRIED EMULSION PAINT, permanent marker, ink, lipstick, crayon, nail polish, grease, adhesive residue and more.
http://www.igoe.ie/cms/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=34

Have not tried the product so no idea if it does what it claims - if you try it let us know if it is any good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back