Dry Lining Single Brick Shed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody,

I recently moved into a property that has an external freestanding single leaf (brick) shed with concrete roof and floor. When I moved in it was incredibly damp but having cleared out the large volumes of cardboard boxes, newspapers, chipboard, old rugs etc that was in it and given it chance to air a little it seems to have dried out a little and is much better.

I'd like to turn it into a workshop/storage space and as such would like to make it reasonably dry although it doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough to be able to store stuff for short periods of time and store more resilient stuff etc...

I don't wish to spend a huge amount of money on this but it needs something doing to it and the space will be welcome in everyway (our first child is on their way :))

Here's what i was thinking of doing, could people confirm if they think this will work.

To the floor:

Lay a layer of sand, followed by a sheet of polythene/plastic big enough to run up the walls by few inches, followed by another layer of sand (each layer about 20-25mm, primarily to afford the polythene protection from accidental damage) and then lay some thin cheap concrete paving slabs on top to create a new raised floor.

To the walls:

Paint the walls with bitumen paint, fix batons (say 25x25mm) around the walls at 600mm spacings (?) with a horizontal mid rail, to which I would then fix 18mm (?) plywood or chipboard (?) (the back of which is also painted with bitumen paint). This would sit on top of the new concrete slab floor and the polythene would run up into the space between the chipboard and the brick wall. My theory being that damp coming up through the floor would be forced into this void, the bitumen paint to each surface would keep it 'airborne'. In order to allow it to escape i would remove 4 bricks from near the base of the wall (1 on each wall) to allow air movement and ventilation. I would then cover these holes with an airvent cover to stop mice etc getting in. I guess I could infill with airbricks but I don't really know how to repoint the bricks with mortar and would prefer to keep things simple and figured this would work ok without really threatening the structural integrity of the walls.

To the roof:

I figured i'd leave the roof as is although i guess i'll need to fill the gap between the chipboard and the roof. Maybe with a sealant of some sorts? Or do you think it'd be ok and not allow too much damp in?

This should give me a good smooth wall surface to hang things off and install a work bench, shelves etc too whilst preventing the place building up too much damp.

Does this all sound ok to people or do think i am wasitng my time doing it this way and maybe i should do it differently?

Advice and tips please people!!

Ollie

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back