Drying out after a leak....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seem to have sprung a leak in utility/downstairs W.C., great.... First sign was mould on the walls and fungi growing from the skirting! Anyway, i've dug a small area of screed out, the screed is soaked and there is water sitting on the oversite below. Pretty confident its coming from above, hot/cold feeds to sink etc buried in screed, (they were sleeved prior to screeding though), so isolated these to stop any further possible leaking. CH pipes also buried, but ball valve in header tank tied up, no apparent loss of water from there over last 24hrs. There is a redundant lead supply under the floor but that (if it is leaking) shouldnt have penetrated the DPM.

Intend to replace hot/cold supplies across room to sink rather than mess about any more, I was wondering if anyone could advise what is best solution to dry the floor out?

Sponsored Links
Ventilation, the more air movement, the quicker it will dry out.

You could also put a fan in the room and see how quickly it dries out.

Insurance compines like to wait for 3 weeks to see how much damage has been done.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all. I've pulled up the Lino, (now in heap in garden. The lino, not me.) Door and windows open to get some air through, see how it goes. Now slowly chiselling up the screed to get to the pipes.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back