Drying out after leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The waste pipe from my bath has been leaking. I'd like some advice on the long-term damage this might have caused to the surroundings.

The bathroom is ground-floor, so luckily there's nothing below to damage.
The chipboard floor under the bath was very wet - could this have an effect on the floor tiles in the rest of the bathroom?
The water passed under the stud wall to the bedroom - could the plasterboard be damaged?
The bedroom carpet was soaked (which was how I noticed the leak). I've soaked out as much water as I can, and lifted the carpet to dry it. Once it dries out, and assuming it hasn't stained, should it be ok?

The apartment was only converted 7 months ago, so I'm getting the developer to repair the damage. However, I want to be sure they don't try to do things as cheaply as possible and deny and long term damage :)

Sponsored Links
If the chipboard flooring :rolleyes: has been wet then it needs to be taken up and replaced. Old bathroom floors, if made of chipboard, have usually been wet, and often have the strength of weetabix. It will also swell and probably loosen the tiles.

That's why I prefer waterproof ply.

The carpet will probably shrink, even if it doesn't rot and become smelly.

The floor timbers need to be dried out quickly - taking up the floor will help do that - as moist timber rots.

JohnD said:
If the chipboard flooring :rolleyes: has been wet then it needs to be taken up and replaced. Old bathroom floors, if made of chipboard, have usually been wet, and often have the strength of weetabix. It will also swell and probably loosen the tiles.

That's what I was worried about; I've noticed a small amount of movement in the tiles.

I *could* be wrong about it being chipboard, I'll pull the entire side-panel off and have a closer look. I've only had the plinth off so far.

Thanks for the advice :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back