Bathroom Leak Collapsed Ceiling Below - Drying out time?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm a new poster but have been visiting the diy not forums for some time now for general useful advice. I am very sorry for this long winded story but I am very worried and would really like some advice.

Our builder is in the process of installing our first floor bathroom, as part of some ongoing work on our house renovation. Yesterday the cold water pipe running to the bath developed a VERY bad leak leading to the eventual collapse of the ceiling below and further flooding the room. We rang the builder as soon as we arrived at the house and he came over and admitted liability and said he would sort everything out.

I would be very grateful if someone who knows what they are talking about could verify that what he is planning to do is ok.

He is planning to pull the remaining ceiling down today (thursday) and pull up the carpet below and put in a dehumidifier until Monday, when he will begin to erect a new ceiling. Considering the joists are soaked, to me this doesn't sound like long enough to dry the room but I might well be wrong. Also, the water has spread a little to the walls in the room. The plaster might be ok but I don't want to have problems with cracking/staining further down the line - especially when it was not our doing.

Regarding the floor (concrete ground floor) - it is soaked and so what should be done with it?

I would be so grateful if someone could either put my mind at rest or tell me to stop him in his tracks before he causes us more problems!

Kind regards

ls84

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back