Dry rot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have some builders working on my kitchen which is below a bathroom. They have pulled down the ceiling and found that some of the joists are a bit soft and there are weird stains on the bottom of the floorboards. We are wondering if it's dry rot or not. Could it be treated with a wood preserver?

The bottom of the floor boards look like they have been stained from a leak but if it was a leak - it would not have dried with this sort of colouring surely? And if it was dry rot, would we not see a bunch of spores and mould? Also - it's pretty solid to touch. Some of the whiter areas are softer than other, but in most of the stains, you can scrape back to the wood.

Attached are a few photos. Any thoughts greatly appreciated - would really like to avoid replacing all the beams, but would also like to avoid the bathroom falling in!

Attachments

• BathroomFloorUnderside3.jpg
    BathroomFloorUnderside3.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 141
  • BathroomFloorUnderside2.jpg
    BathroomFloorUnderside2.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 146
  • BathroomFloorUnderside1.jpg
    BathroomFloorUnderside1.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 147
Sponsored Links
They just look like water stains to me - identical to the ones under the tiles in my bathroom and most other bathroom floorboarding I've seen.

Controlling water spillage in bathrooms is often a nightmare unless it's tanked :(

Sponsored Links
tomcart, what do you think cased the staining/leaking?
have you probed evrywhere the boards meets the joists? which joists are a bit soft?
why is the staining so all over the floor? you dont show under the bath/shower or WC?
what cover is or was on the bathroom floor, tile or vinyl an such?

theres some joists in photo 420.6 have come short an seem to be lightly fixedto sistering joists..

the rats nest of cables needs sorting. run all cables through joist holes and fix all junction boxes to joistsafter opening them upand tightening up all terminals.

Thanks for the help all.

bobasd - the joinsts are bit short because their used to be a chimney breast in that area. The stains are all over the underside of the floor - probably a bit worst under the bath.

ndecotp - wish the builders had done that but they had put the ceiling boards up before I saw your reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back