Drying out after leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had a leak from our boiler in the loft last week. An area of boarding in the loft was saturated and the water went through the insulation below and has caused staining on ceilings below.

The bulk of the moisture/staining has come through into the airing cupboard directly below the boiler. The airing cupboard is on the landing and there is some staining on the landing roof and a small amount on the ceiling of a nearby bedroom.

Our insurers have sent a flood restoration company. They have position a dehumidifier in the bedroom (the least affected room) and told is to keep the door closed when in use. They have give us a high power blower to direct into the top of the air cupboard. They had lifted a board in the loft and removed the insulation and told us to keep the hatch closed.

Given that the bulk of the residual water is in the loft space I cannot see that the blower is having much effect or the dehumidifier having any. There are essentially two doors between the dehumidifier and the loft space. Given that humid air rises (I checked and contrary to common sense 'heavier' wet air does rise) any that evaporates off from the wet loft will be going in the opposite direction anyway.

Any advice or experience greatly received.

Cheers

Sam

Sponsored Links
A good and very fair point.

I live in an old house with draughty sash windows and it has been chucking down with rain outside. There is water in the tank, but how much should I expect it to collect from the regular moisture in the house and whatever it is drawing in from outside?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back