Dryrod Damp-Proofing Rods

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone ever used these things:

https://www.safeguardeurope.com/products/dryzone-system/dryrod-damp-proofing-rods

It looks a bit gimmicky.

We have a severely damp internal brick wall which I am slowly trying to remove the thick coating of plastic paint that has been applied by previous owners doing the wall no good. The base of the wall is very wet and smells dreadful. Haven’t had a chance to lift the floorboards to inspect yet. The top/middle of the walls appear fine so wondering if this really could be a case of damp rising up.

Was looking at these dryrod devices but thought I’d ask around as to their efficacy.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
if you find that copper bracelets cure your arthritis, you will find the dry rods work equally well.

A better option would be to find the source of the water and repair it. More often than not it is a leak. Smell might be a drain.

Is this on the ground floor?

is the floor concrete? If floorboards, you MUST lift and look underneath.

post some photos please. both sides of the wall. the wet patch, and the whole wall including the gutters, pipes and drains.

Hi JohnD

Yes point taken, I too was dubious. They are floorboards underneath and will definitely be lifting them up this weekend I think. Yes, on the ground floor.

As this is an internal wall separating the kitchen and living room there are no gutters/pipes etc.

You can see someone tried to give some damp injection a go. Clearly didn’t work.

We had a damp surveyor come around and he advised us our chimney was leaking which was causing water to essentially make its way down the stack and across the party wall and into this brick wall. I find this quite difficult to believe. He also told us our porch had no felt under the tiles but a roofer came round the other day and proved that wrong.

I think a look under the floorboards is a good next step. Just thinking out aloud but is it also feasible that we could have a leak from above rather, say from the tank in the attic and that is making its way down the brick wall and settling at the bottom?

Attachments

• 1F576DA2-E64C-436C-B326-64F95F22F1A3.jpeg
    1F576DA2-E64C-436C-B326-64F95F22F1A3.jpeg
    353.2 KB · Views: 270
  • 44DE941E-FF5E-418B-822F-AA0C4502CD2A.jpeg
    44DE941E-FF5E-418B-822F-AA0C4502CD2A.jpeg
    377.5 KB · Views: 262
kitchens have sinks and taps in them

the cold tap is usually supplied under the floor, from the watermain in the street.

they also have waste pipes going into the drains.

pipes often leak after 50-100 years

how old is your house?

is there a water meter?

what is that wall made of?

Sponsored Links
It’s an old house. Built in 1890. I don’t think we have a water meter. I certainly have seen one. What is your thinking there? That a water meter could help provide clues for a leak?

yes

an outside stopcock can also help. both also give you clue of the route of the supply pipe to where the kitchen sink used to be when the house was built. Usually in a straight line.

1890 pipes and drains very likely to leak.

there might originally have been an outside WC, now removed but pipes and drains remaining.

the water you show looks more than I would expect from a chimney, unless you are looking at the base of the chimneybreast.

In this house I wouldn’t be surprised. Has been eye opening to say the least. Totally covered in cement render, air bricks blocked.

Floorboards need to come up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back