Drywall Battens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a bit of a Christmas diy project going. Building out a wall with 3 inch battens and will fit with 12mm plasterboard. Wall will be partly tiled and have a small sink. Is the batten spacing ok? I am worried about the edges. Will the plasterboard be week at the sides and top and bottom. The space between batten and wall on the left is 15mm, space om the right is 90mm because of those pipes that can be moved. Also I have one cut side of plasterboardand one the orginal edge, do I need to tape this or something so it doesn't fall apart.

Sponsored Links
You will need to provide a cut down batten for the right side, it looks like there's space to the right of the pipes.

Also you should close off the spaces at the bottom definately, and it would be best to do the tops also. Or else when you bang a nail in or lean against the wall the board will bend and crack along the join.

You can brush some dilute pva glue on the cut edge to stop it dusting.

If possible, put some cross battens at the height where the fixings for the basin will be going.
As reg has said cross batten at the top and bottom (fill in horizontally between the battens)

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the advise. I will do just that. I assume any gap of around 15mm at the edge is nothing to worry about then? It is as close as I can drill a batten to the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back