Are my wall units going to fall down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently installed my kitchen and I'm worrying a bit about the wall units on one wall.

The wall had been plasterboarded (dot and dab). Rather than trying to attach the the wall units to the plasterboard, I cut out a horizontal channel in the plasterboard and attached a wooden batten to the wall in that channel. The batten is maybe 25mm deep, and is very firmly fixed to the wall with 50mm screws every 300mm or so. I then attached the metal hanging rail to the batten with screws that are just screwed in to the batten i.e. the screws are maybe 25mm and are fixed only to the batten, not the wall.

I've since hung the wall units and filled them and they seem fine, but I can't help but worry that they are ultimately fixed to the wall with 25mm screws. Am I worrying about nothing, or have I done a crap job that needs to be corrected? I hate to think that they could one day fall down and injure someone.

Sponsored Links
No they'll be fine. You could sit on top of them and they won't fall down.

Sponsored Links
No they'll be fine. You could sit on top of them and they won't fall down.
Thanks. I am genuinely tempted to try that!

I do tend to over-engineer these things. Last time I did a kitchen I actually bolted the wall units to the wall by drilling huge holes and fixing some threaded rod in to them with resin anchor. They were proper solid - each fixing easily supported my body weight. Overkill, but at least I could sleep at night...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back